Navigation

Trump ramps up Guam assurances over N. Korea threat

Reuters

Guam Gov. Eddie Calvo speaks at the government complex on the island of Guam on Thursday.

AFP-JijiWASHINGTON (AFP-Jiji) — U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday reassured Guam it was secure amid mounting regional tensions, vowing that American military forces “stand ready” to safeguard the U.S. Pacific island territory against a belligerent North Korea.

With Guam’s safety in the balance, Trump assured the territory’s Gov. Eddie Calvo: “We are with you 1000 percent, you are safe.”

A member of Trump’s Republican Party, Calvo insisted during the two men’s call that “I have never felt more safe or so confident with you at the helm,” according to his office.

“We’re going to do a great job, don’t worry about a thing,” Trump then added. “They should have had me eight years ago, or somebody with my thought process.”

Trump has warned the North that it would “truly regret” attacking the United States, and that the U.S. military is “locked and loaded.” Last week, he threatened “fire and fury.”

If North Korea does launch a missile strike, there is a public warning system in place and a 14-minute window to react, Guam Homeland Security said.

On Friday, it posted guidelines on its website about measures to take in the event of a nuclear attack.

“Expect to stay inside for at least 24 hours unless otherwise told by authorities,” the advisory warned. “If caught outside, do not look at the flash or fireball — It can blind you. Take cover behind anything that might offer protection. Lie flat on the ground and cover your head.”

It also offered advice on removing radioactive fallout, telling residents to “take a shower with lots of soap and water,” use shampoo but avoid conditioner “because it will bind radioactive material to your hair.”Speech

Click to play

0:00/-:--

+ -

Generating speech. Please wait...

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Offline error: please try again.